Precision motionexpertise from an established manufacturer
Deliver precision motion
Deliver accurate movement.
• Flexure & Compliant Mechanism Design
• Piezoelectric Actuation
• Design Optimisation and FEA modelling
• Displacement and Force Sensing
Thrive in extreme conditions.
Thrive in extreme conditions
• Cryogenic and high temperature operation
• Ultra-high vacuum
• High magnetic field
• Ionising radiation
Get a tailored service.
Get a tailored service
• Suited to start-ups & large companies
• Defer development costs to scale-up
• adapt work packages to tight budgets
• No hidden fees
Scale up, with us.
Scale up, with us
• Scale from prototype to batch production
• Supply chain development
• Assembly in our production facility
• Continue design optimisation after launch
Judge us by ourresults
The UK Astronomy Technology Centre had developed a compact satellite with mirrors designed to deploy in space. They found during testing that in order for the mirrors to focus the light into a crisp image they would need displacement sensors to provide nanoscale feedback on their movement
- Sensor (inc electronics) must be less than 1 cm3 and 1 g.
- Must have a resolution of better than 10 nm
- Power consumption must be kept to a minimum.
- Must tolerate heat, cold, vacuum & radiation
No commercially available sensor comes close to approaching the above specifications.
Razorbill met very challenging specification by developing ZED-CAP, the world's most compact displacement sensor capable of 2 nm resolution.
The UK ATC were pleased ZED-CAPs performance and Razorbill continues to provide sensors for future iterations of their compact deployable optics satellites.
Cryogenic engineering consultancy
Electrosciences Ltd in a joint venture with Aixacct Systems Gmbh wanted to expand their markets by providing a device for measuring the d32 and d31 coefficients of piezoelectric thin films. This is a new product category and requires applying AC strains to thin-film samples while measuring the applied stress on the material while simultaneously performing electrical measurements.
- Must be able to apply to apply homogenous 0.1% strains in AC
- Force sensor must have a 0.1N resolution
- Slack in the sample must be taken in with coarse displacement
- Must be user-friendly
- Preference for small footprint
Razorbill designed a piezo-actuated device to achieve the specification.
In particular several innovations that went beyond the specification were introduced:
- Overload protection for the load cell
- A sample mounting system allowing the sample to self-align
- Sample holder that makes electrical contacts while gripping
- Rapid sample transfer system
The customers were highly satisfied with the project and Razorbill is the OEM supplier for this product as their sales into this new market increase.